(Click here for Part II)
Now that the dumpster-fire-of-a-year 2016 is over, it's time to start ordering parts again and burn through the rest of this build list. I hope to have everything bought and built by mid-February at this point.
-New Ordered Parts-
- Magpul ASAP
- Ease of use in conjunction with rifle sling (TBA)
- Spike's ST-T2 Tungsten Heavy Buffer
- In combination with a new bolt, recoil spring, mil-spec receiver extension and new carbine stock, altogether this will all reduce recoil and follow-up shot performance
- CMMG AR-15 Parts Kit Lower Pins and Springs
- Some springs and pieces are still original to the lower and are due for replacement
- BCM Milspec Carbine Receiver Extension
- Improve recoil, etc. (see explanation of ST-T2 Heavy Buffer)
- BCM KeyMod 5.5 inch Picatinny Rail
- For utilizing the Magpul AFG2
With the current parts I have I can make an entirely (mechanically) functional rifle. Only thing missing to make it usable is the last expensive purchase - the Midwest Industries flip-up front and rear sights. The bolt carrier group still needs to be updated to a new one, but for the time being the original will still work just fine. It's not a required purchase, just a preferred one, which also goes for a new charging handle.
Finally I can say the build is almost complete with only a few parts remaining to order. After sights, new BCG and a charging handle it'll be the rifle sling and just adjusting the position of a few pieces (i.e. sling mounts, foregrip, etc.) to my liking and I will have an overall more functional, usable rifle.
|Before refit assembly|