Friday, November 9, 2012

Adapting to the Urban & Rural Jungles (fashion or lack thereof)

I have one real piece of advise: don't dress like a moron. And by that I mean don't dress yourself so that you're the first person everyone notices. Don't walk downtown all alone with your shiny watch and your stylish jeans and not expect to get mugged. Without getting into the "socioeconomic talk" of inner-cities let's just assume that if you dress nice enough you're basically asking to get robbed.
I'm all for self-defense in these kinds of situations, but how about not putting yourself in the situation in the first place? That's the real smart thing.
The same rules apply outside of the city in smaller, rural towns. You don't have to be flashy, adapt and fit in.
I have multiple outfits that range from an upper-crust d-bag, hip style (basically comprises the shiny watch and stylish jeans example), to "woodlander," which is what you may look like if you own and work on your own 100-acre plot of land.
When going to the local gun store to browse I probably won't dress like an asshat, which can go either of two ways: dress way too nice or dress like a weekend warrior. You'll look like a tool either way. Find a nice middle ground because I can't say dress "normal."  That statement couldn't be anymore ambiguous these days.
Am I saying to change who you are? No, but learn to be creative and adaptable in an ever-changing world. Is that so much to ask? I hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment